NAME Roebuck/Roebuck Hill
LOCATION Located on the intersection of Deerpark Road, Foster’s Avenue, Roebuck Road and Mount Anville Road,
between the latter two.
MAP OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Roebuck and it is not on John Roques map of 1756.
GENERAL A Georgian house possibly built before 1790 judging by its fine plaster work. However the first mention of a tenant is in 1824. It had a gate lodge which was demolished in the 1960s. It's two bow-fronted single story wings have large Wyatt windows which follow the curve. A parapet hides the roof. In 1832 it was described thus: 'Upon this lot there is a dwelling house two stories high consisting of parlour, drawing room, breakfast parlour, four bed chambers and Kitchen. Stabling for six horses, coach house and walled garden pleasure ground ornamentally planted.' The Victorian era saw an addition of three more bedrooms but those and other Victorian features were demolished in the early 1963 mainly because they were substandard. In the 1960s plus all the above, it boasted of a water closet, pantry, scullery, force pump, large lock up yard and a cow house for three cows. The early bed chambers consisted of two rooms which later became two separate bedrooms. Unusually for similar houses it does not have a basement. The conservatory, demolished in recent years, was used in 1842 by the world authority on orchids, John C Lyons. The gate piers and gates still survive on Mount Anville Road but much of the walls have been replaced.
VALUATION In 1874 the valuation was 65 pounds
BUILT Circa 1790
SOURCES Thom’s directories, Sherrard 1783, contemporaneous newspapers, Brassington & Gale 1832, NAI Census & Wills
and OSI Maps.
1783 Meadow and pasture leased by Mr Towers
1799 Thomas Kemmis leased 102 acres from the Trimleston estate which included this land and possibly this house but this has not yet been confirmed.
1802 Thomas Kemmis leased the land to William Conyngham Plunket
1808 Luke Connors
1824 House leased to John Edwards.
1832 John Goddard Richards leased it to Right Hon Francis Blackburne. Then he in turn leased it to John Edwards
1838 Henry Deane Edwards
1853 John Charles Lyons leased it from Blackburne. Michael Healy leased the gate lodge from Lyons.
1843 Henry Edwards
1850 Henry Deane Edwards
1856 Richard Byrne
1858 Henry Deane Edwards leased the property to George Kinahan and the Paddock of the house was leased to John Walsh by William Conyngham Plunket.
1860 - 1867 George Kinahan
1869 George Kinahan
1871 George Turbett
1877 George William Turbett
1883 Up for sale
1894 W. J. Goulding
1896 Up for sale
1896 Miss Young gave it as her and address
1900 W. J. Goulding
1906 John Doherty (1815-1906)
1906 Stanislaus Moran (‘Mesdames Gerald and Stanislaus Moran of Roebuck’ mentioned in James Joyce Ulysses.)
?? Edward Mulcahy-Morgan
1916 Edward F. Hopkins
1921 G.M. McLeod
1922 - 1924 Fintan R. Fitzpatrick
1929 - 1932 Mrs Orme
1932 - 1935 Miss Orme and her ladies maid Miss M Kelly
1941 Miss M. Kelly
1961 James Joseph Jennings
2014 Sold in 2014 to an unknown party
STATUS Extant .The roof has been renovated. Planning permission is being sought to build houses in the garden.
CONTRIBUTOR © Catherine Brugha
DATE March 2018