NAME The Farm/Farmleigh
AREA LOCATION STILLORGAN, N11 at the junction with Brewery Road.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Galloping Green
North and it is annotated as "unnamed" and Farmleigh respectively.
GENERAL The name was changed from The Farm to Farmleigh in 1864. Louis Werner, oculist,
who lived here in the 40's gets a mention in Ulysses. Thomas Jackson was married to
Grace Orpen sister of the WW1 artist William Orpen. The house is described as a
detached six bay residence on 10 acres with three storeys to the front and two storeys
to the rear with no basement. It had a gatelodge and a carriage drive.
YEAR BUILT circa 1788
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 65 Stg and in the 1911 census it is noted as having 9
rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, parish records, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census &
Wills and OSI Maps.
1820 - 1857 Robert Rundell Guinness
1858 - 1875 Mrs Robert Guinness
1875 - 1881 Edward Hill
1882 - 1900 Mrs John Mahony/Jesson Family
1904 - 1914 Joseph Patrick Tyndall
1915 - 1936 Thomas Jackson
1938 - 1970 Louis Emil Werner
1971 Demolished under a CPU to widen the N11
1849 Mary Staunton - Gate keeper
1859 Vincent Brown
1911 Mary Ellen Walsh - Cook
Bridget Mongey - Palourmaid
Mary Devereux - Housemaid
STATUS No longer extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE April 2017