NAME Marino/Marino Park
AREA LOCATION Off Mount Merrion Avenue, entrance through The Elms.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Blackrock
and it is annotated as Marino House and Marino Park respectively.
GENERAL This was the home of the Rev R H Dixon, Rector of Booterstown, before
becoming the home of Frederick Maple, proprietor of the Maples Hotel in Kildare Street and it had
two gatelodges. The original house is thought to have been partially destroyed in a fire in the
1870's as water could not get there on time to save it all. A new front comprising a drawing and
dining room together with three bedrooms was built to the front. In 2000 the house became a
source of controversy when the Blackall sisters, old frail and penniless, who had lived their entire
lives in this six-bedroomed, 19th-century Georgian house off Mount Merrion Avenue were evicted
to live in 'a basement flat on Blackrock's seafront'.
YEAR BUILT circa 1830
VALUATION In 1873 the valuation was 91 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as
having 11 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES William Blackall, Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, OSI Maps
and NAI Census & Wills.
1834 - 1857 Rev Robert Herbert Nixon
1857 - 1867 Dorothy Rose Nixon
1868 - 1870 Richard W Boyle
1871 - 1873 William Lyons, solicitor
1874 - 1877 Sarah De Montmorency, The Dowager Viscountess Mountmorres
1879 - 1901 Frederick Maple
1901 - 1909 Miss Maple
1909 To Let
1910 - 1916 Mr Francis Kennedy, Asst. of the Kings Bench Division, Four Courts.
1916 - 2000 The Blackall family
2001 Chessington Ltd
1849 Alexander Meade - Gatekeeper
1869 Mr Clarke - Gardener
1901 Jane Corragan - General Domestic Servant
1911 Teresa Kelly -Cook
Tara Black - Maid
STATUS Extant in apartments
DATE © June Bow & Karen Poff July 2018, last updated March 2021