NAME Taney Hill/Taney Hill House/Taney House
AREA LOCATION Dundrum, Taney Road, now the site of Taney Court.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Roebuck and
it is annotated as Taney Hill and Taney House respectively.
GENERAL Georgian style house, two storeys over basement. Originally it had a three bay front but was
extended with the addition of two story over basement wing to the south of the property. The entrance porch
with pillars are to the original part of the house. The house became known as Taney House in 1883 and was
completely renovated by the Jameson family in the early 1900s. The gate lodge was on Taney Hill and no longer
survives. The house was converted into flats in 1941. All the remains is a lone, cut granite gate pillar with
'House' etched into the stone on Taney Road near the entrance to Taney Rise.
An interesting occupant was Martha Bradford nee Wilmot who died here in 1873. Her sister Catherine having a
desire to travel joined Lady & Lord Mount Cashel on a tour of the continent and it was arranged by Mrs Hamilton,
her fathers cousin, that Martha would go Russia and stay with the Princess Daschkar, Lady of Honour to Catherine
II, Empress of All the Russias whom she had met when the Princess had toured Ireland. Martha set off in 1803 and
spent five years in Russia and became the Princess's most intimate friend. In 1808 her parents insisted that she
return home, this was a very sad parting and the Princess died shortly after Martha's departure.
YEAR BUILT circa 1819
VALUATION In 1900 the valuation was 122 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as having 14 rooms
occupied by family.
ARCHITECT Unknown, in 1898 work was carried out to the house by Millar & Symes architects.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census & Wills and OSI Maps.
1819 - 1848 Walter Bourne
1852 - 1858 Lady Janet Wilmot Chetwode
1859 - 1881 William Brooke Esq., M.C.
1881 - 1882 Catherine Anne Daschkaw Brooke
1883 - 1898 John Thomas Ball/Francis Elrington Ball
1899 - 1904 Major John Eustace Jameson
1904 - 1908 Thomas Joseph Stafford, FRCS, CB,DL
1908 - 1910 Mrs Stafford
1912 Sir George Morris, KCB
1916 - 1920 Charles Hugh O'Connor of the Local Government Board
1924 For Sale
1935 - 1937 Rev R D Bluett and Miss Noel Bluett (Physiotherapist & co-founder of
Children's Sunshine Home).
1941 Converted into 6 flats
1950 House building on the land
1952 W A Newman (Co-pilot of the Aer Lingus plane St Kevin which crashed)
1848 John Logan & Peter Cullen - Gate Keepers
1899 Mary Eyre - living at Taney House gatelodge
1901 Madge Sheehan - Cook
Bridgit Fleming - Housemaid
Susan Smith - Kitchen maid
Annie Kavanagh - Dairy maid
Edward Fortune - Page
Emily Heard - Nurse
Agnes Belton - Governess
Elizabeth Whelan - Maid
Bridget Lanagan - Maid
Margaret Kavanagh - Maid
Julia Kavanagh - Maid
1911 Teresa Shields
STATUS No longer extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE December 2017