NAME Brewery House/Winton/Brookvale
AREA LOCATION STILLORGAN, St. Brigid's Church Road, Old Dublin Road.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Stillorgan South
and it is annotated as Brewery House and Brookvale House respectively. In 1856 the
name was changed to Winton but by 1870 it was known as Brookvale again.
GENERAL An elegant three story house five bedroom with bay timber frame windows. It's actually
two houses joined together, possibly the coach house or office were integrated. It has a side entrance from
Station Road (now known as St Brigid's Church Road). In 1950 a CPO was issued on a portion of the front
garden and by Dublin County Council to allow for the widening of the Bray Road (14 perches and 7 yards).
YEAR BUILT circa 1780
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 20 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as having 18
rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, Valuation Office records, contemporaneous newspapers, Registry
of Deeds, OSI Maps and NAI Census & Wills.
1852 Miss Madder
1854 - 1856 Andrew Cartan (Leased Darley's Brewery)
1861 - 1865 Mrs Law
1870 - 1873 A H Jacob MD FRCSI
1874 - 1875 Mrs. Symes
1880 - 1883 Select Boarding School for Girls - Miss Anna E Lamb & Miss Barton
(School moved to Ardnagrena in Orwell in 1883 as it was so successful)
1884 - 1885 Vacant
1885 - 1886 Andrew Edmund Johnston
1886 - 1887 Major William George Fitzgerald
1888 - 1889 Vacant
1890 Susan Jolley
1890 -1897 Mrs Jolley
1899 - 1901 Mrs Sara Anne Harkness
1908 - 1910 William Alexander Raleigh Cruise
1920 - 1951 Misses Florence Eliza & Lily Humphreys
1951 For Sale
1960 - 1963 William H Giffard Ryan
1963 R N Kennedy
1968 Rev Patrick Burnes & Brendan Conway, Order of St. Camillus
1968 For Sale
1968 Kelly Family
1901 Susan Moore - Cook
Elizabeth Long - Housemaid
STATUS Extant and in private ownership.
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE January 2018