NAME Hermitage/Holy Family Residence
AREA LOCATION Roebuck Road
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Roebuck
and it is annotated as Hermitage on both.
GENERAL In 1783 it was called ‘The Cruts’, leased by Cassidy. It was 18 acres of meadow
with a cabin and garden. In 1832 it was the estate of William McCasky of 17 acres. ‘Upon this
estate there is a dwelling house, two stories high consisting of a parlour, drawing room, offices
and breakfast parlour, three bed chamber and dressing rooms attached, a basement story with
kitchen and servants rooms. Stabling for six horses, coach house and yard, garden partially
walled, entrance gate lodge with lawn tastefully planted’ (Brassington 1832). To let with gatelodge
and gardeners cottage 1854. Plastering work by James Hogan & Sons in 1872.
YEAR BUILT circa 1775
VALUATION In 1869 the valuation was 103 pounds and in the 1911 census it is noted as
having 28 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census & Wills and
1827 - 1834 William McCaskey, proprietor of Clonskea Iron works.
1834 - 1841 Thomas McCaskey
1837 - 1838 W C Quinn
1839 The Misses Hendrick
1850 - 1859 James McCaskey
1853 - 1854 For Sale/To Let
1857 - 1901 Henry Jameson
1902 -1929 William Robertson
1929 For sale on 17 acres Freehold
1931 - 1935 Mr & Mrs Southcote Mansergh
1936 - 1937 Madame Moody Manners (Fanny) AKA Mrs Mansergh
1942 - 2018 Holy Family Residence (Little Sisters of the Poor)
1859 Mr Barrett - Gardener
1879 - 1885 John Wray - Gardener
1911 Mr Green - Gardener
Arthur Wallace - Butler
George Harley - Footman
Mary Laine - Cook
Elizabeth Furlong - Housemaid
Christina McLeod - Kitchenmaid
Teresa Lavin - Scullery maid
Marguerite Bordea? (French) - Ladies maid.
1911 - 1914 Isabella McFadden - Housemaid
1933 Patrick Rice - Gardener living at gatelodge
STATUS Extant, in use as a nursing home and is a protected structure.
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow, Catherine Brugha & Karen Poff
DATE December 2018