NAME Rich View/Richview
AREA LOCATION ROEBUCK, off Clonskeagh Road, part of UCD Campus.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Roebuck and it is annotated
as Rich View and Richview respectively.
GENERAL ‘Upon this demesne there is a capital house three stories high consisting of parlour, drawing
room, breakfast room, six bedrooms, three dressing rooms. Basement story containing kitchen
and servants apartments. Farm yard, coach houses, stabling for six horses, a walled garden,
plantations and pleasure grounds.’ (Brassington 1832).
Richview is a tall Georgian house built circa 1790. Architect Thomas Newenham Deane extended
the house in 1861 and there were further additions by Sir Thomas Drew to convert it into a school
in 1885. The Masonic Boys schools provided for the education and maintenance of the sons of
deceased members of the Masonic Order.
Its gatelodge survives on Clonskeagh Road opposite Whitethorn Road. Richview now houses
UCD's School of Architecture, Landscape and Civil Engineering.
YEAR BUILT circa 1790
VALUATION In 1874 the valuation was 52 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as having 40 rooms
occupied by pupils.
ARCHITECT Unknown. Extended by Thomas Newenham Deane.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, Brassington & Gale 1832, OSI maps, NAI Census & Wills,
Registry of Deeds, F E Ball, Pettigrew & Oulton's Dublin Directory 1842 and
In 1790 some of the land is leased by the Rt Hon Lord Trimlestown to James Potts and the
following year the balance is leased to James Doyle. In turn these two lots were then let to Mr Haskins.
1794 - 1796 James Potts, proprietor of Saunders Newsletter
1799 James Potts, Printer of 74 Dame Street (nephew of the above)
1800 To Let
1808 - 1815 Charles Haskins
1813 - 1822 For sale
1823 - 1824 Mrs Nathaniel Creed
1825 For Sale
1830 - 1834 John Duffy
1835 - 1843 Michael Powell
1846 To Let
1848 Ven John Torrens, DD
1849 Francis Edward James
1857 - 1859 Captain James Sterling Steward
1859 To Let
1860 John Luscombe Duffey
1859 Albert Manders
1864 - 1867 Herbert Manders
1868 - 1879 Mrs Herbert Manders
1885 - 1980 Masonic Boy’s School
1980 - Todate University College Dublin
1866 - 1879 Mr O'Toole - Gardener
1901 Oliver Armstrong - Teacher
Joshua Hamilton - Teacher
Arthur Simpson - Teacher
Charles Bair - Teacher
1911 Sydney William Meredith - Teacher
Norman Walker - Teacher
Thomas S Ashton - Teacher
Charles H P Lyndon - Teacher
William H Hildebrand - Teacher
STATUS Extant and part of UCD
CONTRIBUTOR © Catherine Brugha & Karen Poff
DATE April 2018