NAME White Hall/Whitehall Park/Whitehall
AREA LOCATION Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Newtown Blackrock
and is annotated as White Hall School and White Hall respectively.
GENERAL A large detached residence, it was approached from a gatelodge on Carysfort avenue.
It had a long sweeping carriage drive and backed on to Sweetman's avenue now the site of Blackrock
Business Park. From 1850 to 1870 it was called Whitehall Park.
YEAR BUILT circa 1800
VALUATION In 1866 the valuation was 54 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as having
13 rooms occupied by the family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, Griffith's Valuation, NAI Census
and Wills & OSI Maps.
1811 James Maguire
1814 Matthew Maguire
1836 - 1839 Ladies Boarding & Day School
1847 Mrs Philip Hughes (mother in law of Charles Gavan Duffy)
1849 - 1851 George Mark - Tea Merchant
1853 Rev John C Chute
1854 - 1873 George Nesbitt
1865 Jane Rossiter, relict of Ignatius Rossiter of Galbally (RIP)
1876 - 1889 Patrick Dolan
1891 - 1892 Samuel A W Waters
1893 - 1896 Col H L Dundas AAG Office, Dublin Castle
1894 - 1934 Avoca School - Albert MacDonagh
1935 Avoca school - Cyril Parker
1940 House converted to flats
1936 - 1963 Bradmola Hosiery Mills
1963 - 1985 Glen Abbey
1995 Blackrock Business Park
1894 - 1934 Albert MacDonagh
1935 Cyril Parker
1901 Mary Kearns - Cook/Laundress
Elizabeth Garner - General Domestic
1911 Charlotte Stephens - Cook
Annie Devlin - Nurse
1920 - 1923 Peter Pender - Gardener -living at gatelodge.
STATUS No longer extant.
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE February 2021