AREA LOCATION Newpark School (known as the Redbrick Building)
MAP LOCATION OSI map of 1888-1913 place it in the townland of Newtown Castlebyrne
and it is annotated as Belfort.
GENERAL Mid Victorian redbrick detached three-bay two-storey house with gatelodge
and stabling, built 1870 for Graves Swan Warren. It interest in the lease was for sale in 1892 and
it was described at being a modern villa standing on 1 acre of tastefully planted grounds.
YEAR BUILT circa 1870
VALUATION In 1935 the valuation was 73 pounds and in the 1911 census it is noted as
having 15 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom's, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census & Wills, OSI Maps, South
Dublin Historical Mapping.
1870 - 1891 Graves Swan Warren
1891 - 1892 George Pim Malcomson
1893 - 1897 Thomas Hayes
1899 - 1900 Charles Hill
1907 - 1935 Joseph MacDermott
1936 For Sale on two acres
1936 - 1971 Avoca School move here from Whitehall
1971 Newpark Comprehensive School
1907 - 1911 Ellen Twamley - Parlourmaid
1911 Honor Reilly - Cook
Alice Byrne - Housemaid
Agnes McNamee - Serving maid
1936 - 1962 Cyril Parker - Owner & Headmaster
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE January 2019