Photograph on steps is courtesy of Dominic Lee of Priory Studios and is circa 1952. Judging by the width and number of steps, it would have been quite a substantial house.
AREA Old Dublin Road, Stillorgan, on the site of what is now Oatlands College.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Stillorgan
North and it is annotated as Oatland and Oatlands respectively.
GENERAL "Land formerly held by Robert Emmet now in the possession of Thomas
Addis Emmet leased to William Fleming for 95 years (Total land 13A 1R 17.5P)" - Deed dated
1799. On Taylors map of 1816 it is shown as a small house called Oatland. It was a five bay,
two storey over basement with an Ionic portico. Typically Georgian with a central Wyatt window
above the porch.
Oatlands originally had two gatelodges, one is still extant and was for sale in 2015. An Arts &
Crafts style lodge with tripartite oriel window and herringbone brick decorative panels. The
house itself was described as having 5 bedrooms with a drawing room that led to a greenhouse
in 1823 but by 1904 it had seven bedrooms, four drawing rooms plus servants quarters. In
1880 it was sold by the Landed Estate Court and purchased by Matthew Pollock, the tenant. It
housed the telescope of John Ross. Although Lady Jane's address is listed at Oatlands up to 1947
the contents of the house were sold in 1937 so she may not have lived in the house after that.
The house and grounds were home to the Stillorgan fete in the 1950's.
YEAR BUILT circa 1800
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 124 pounds.
ROOMS The census of 1901 shows it with 21 rooms occupied by the family
SOURCES OSI Maps, Thom's Directories, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census
& Wills and Registry of Deeds.
1803 -1808 Mr Dickson of Parliament Street
1808 -1819 Leased to Thomas Fry for 85 years in 1808
1825 James Woodroffe
1834 - 1855 Matthew Pollock
1855 - 1881 Matthew J Pollock
1882 - 1885 Mrs Pollock
1884 - 1904 James Gibson Pollock
1905 - 1908 Rosamond Pollock
1909 - 1915 Frederick Digby Darley
1916 - 1922 Sir John Ross (Lord Chancellor of Ireland)
1925 Miss Annie Marie Hughes & Mary Frances Hughes
1926 - 1927 Sir Peter Reilly O’Connell
1930 - 1949 Lady Jane O’Connell
1937 Contents for Sale
1937 - 1949 Land Let for Tillage & Grazing
1950 Vacant/For sale on 4 acres with gatelodge.
1950 Christian Brothers
1968 Demolished September
1849 - 1851 William Henderson - Gatekeeper
1858 John Morris - Gardener
1881 Margaret Taylor - Servant
1883 William John Black - Coachman
1886 Thomas Walsh - Gardener
1889 Margaret Dowden - Servant
1898 Frances Haughton - domestic servant died 26.02.1894 from Scarlet fever.
1901 Ellen Casserly - Parlourmaid
Mary Dunne - Housemaid
Margaret Clarke - Laundress
1911 Kate Morrissey - Cook
Brigid Delaney -Housemaid
1919 John Hall - Oatlands
1947 Thomas Keogh age 11 - Living at Oatlands lodge
Current Status No longer extant
Contributors © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE October 2017