NAME Grove House/Grove Lodge
AREA LOCATION Corner of Stillorgan Park and Grove Avenue
MAP LOCATION OSI map of of 1837 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Stillorgan Grove. It
is unnamed and annotated at Grove House respectively.
GENERAL The land for this was carved out of the Priory lands and it was described as
'painted light sky blue, two storied with large trees in the grounds, a curved drive and a small field
behind railings' in the 1950's.
YEAR BUILT circa 1780
VALUATION In 1892 the valuation was 29 pounds.
ROOMS On the 1901 census it is noted as having 14 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, Registry of Deeds,
OSI Maps and NAI Census & Wills & the Rev R Marshall.
1836 To be let
1837 Lord Southwell has arrived at Riversdale.
1842 Elizabeth Jane Doyne, wife of Charles Powlett Doyne dies here.
1849 House for Sale with 13 Acres
1860 Thomas Crookshank and some of the land sold for building of Oriel
1881 John Copely Singleton
1884 - 1901 Sydney Stokes
1903 Household furniture sale
1908 - 1914 Frederick Joy & R Cecil Joy
1914 Robert Cecil Joy
1921 Thomas Wemyss Reid
1925 Mrs Margaret Ferguson
1930 - 1935 Mrs Marian Coulson
1939 - 1957 Mr and Mrs Louis C Fleury
1884 Mrs Atwell - Housekeeper
STATUS No longer extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow/Karen Poff
DATE March 2019