NAME Holeywell/Holywell Cottage/Holywell Park (Holey Well Cottage)
AREA LOCATION Kilmacud Road upper now Holywell housing estate.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of
Drummartin and it is annotated as Holywell Cottage and Holywell Park
GENERAL House on 8.5 acres with walled in garden and gate lodge. The cross on the
grounds marks the well source to provide water for the pump. Edward Groves Mason leased the
house from Anthony Byrne Darcy in 1822 as did Edward Alday in 1837. By 1839 it was advertised
'for let' as a five bedroom house with basement. It had a gate lodge, stabling for 5 horses, a coach
house and a granary. Circa 1920 Kilmacud Cottage was built in the grounds. In the 1960's the fields
of Holywell were the location for one of the biggest garden fates ever held in Dundrum. It was
held by the Parish of Taney to raise funds for the new Taney School. It included Helicopter rides,
fancy dress parades, dog shows, pony rides etc. *William Hughes purchased a further 10 acres from
CIE (part of the old Harcourt Street rail line). This was farmed by John Lambert who supplied milk
to HB dairy at Hazelbrook, Rathfarnham. The house was closed up and the land let to a riding
school in the late 1970s. Later the 'house was demolished and the front gates closed with concrete'
YEAR BUILT circa 1830, new house built on the grounds in the 1920's.
VALUATION In 1900 the valuation was 56 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as
13 having rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, Registry of Deeds, NAI
Census & Wills, OSI Maps and Barker Map 1756.
1822 Land leased by Edward Groves Mason
1837 Edward Alday
1839 - 1841 William George Walsh
1843 - 1847 Beauchamp Bagenal Hill
1855 Mary Josephine MacDonald rip (wife of Hugh)
1860 - 1861 George Meyler
1862 - 1864 Mrs James Mullins
1871 To let
1879 Edward Hartigan, Solicitor RIP (wife Jane)
1882 - 1884 Samuel Geoghegan
1887 - 1894 Solomon Henry Darcus
1901 Mrs Fitzpatrick (Rose Ann returning to Sydney Australia)
1905 Percy Considine
1910 Morris Family
1910 - 1917 William Henry Wilkinson
1927 - 1929 Mrs Murray
1930 Brunton Family
1933 Mrs E C Neligan
1937 Mrs Walter Scott
1940 Laurence Martin
1943 - 1957 Alfred Denis Pringle
1964 - 1972 William Warren Hughes
c1976 House demolished
1989 Sorohan Builders - Application for 208 houses to be built.
1993 Sorohan Builders - Application for 210 houses to be built.
1837 John Fitzpatrick - Gatekeeper
1905 Michael Coyle - Gardener
1911 Millie Hobson - Housemaid
Rose Larrissey - Cook
1940's Frank Buckles - living at gate lodge
1971 Oliver Dunne
STATUS No longer extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE January 2019
* Our thanks to Simon Hughes for additional information.