AREA LOCATION STILLORGAN
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Stillorgan Park
GENERAL The name of the Riversdale was changed in 1964 to Granada reflecting the birthplace
of the order of St John Of God in 1539. It 1920 it was set on 14.5 acres and described
as a castellated, two storey, non basement house. It was also noted that it had a
new entrance with a gatelodge. In 2017 the house underwent major refurbishment
and the entire external plaster was removed and under the direction of an
Archaeological Architect it was re-plastered with a “breathable” render which needed
a year to dry and was repainted in 2019.
YEAR BUILT circa 1778
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 77 Stg and in the 1901 census it is noted as having 19 rooms
occupied by the family, but by 1911 it is no longer considered a 1st class house and it
seems to have been divided into two residences.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census, Registry of Deeds, OSI
Maps & Valuation Office and Brother Finnian Gallagher & Brother Kilian Keaney of John
of God Hospitaller Services.
1778 Eliza & Mary Ryves
1830 - 1836 Benjamin Ball
1837 John Wilson Barlow
1840 Leased to Michael Harris….Guinness
1840 - 1841 Hon Major Arthur Francis Southwell
1842 Elizabeth Jane Doyne (RIP) relict of Charles Powlett Doyne
1846 - 1848 Edward Reynolds, attorney
1849 - 1850 Roderick Reynolds
1854 -1855 Mark Cardiff Esq.
1856 Robert Perse Esq.
1855 - 1862 Charles McDermot
1857 - 1859 Alexander McMahon Esq.
1860 William McDermott Esq.
1864 - 1865 Clement Edwards
1861 - 1868 Charles J McDermot Esq. (Owner)
1869 George Berg, Op. Dr (Excm)
1870 - 1871 Carleton N Atkinson
1872 Charles J McDermott Esq.
1873 - 1874 Ralph Budd
1875 Edw J Darys Esq.
1877 - 1878 Thomas Farrell Esq.
1880 - 1882 John McClelland, Insp. Gen of Hosp
1883 - 1888 Vacant
1889 - 1893 Robert McLaren Esq.
1894 - 1896 M J O Farrell Esq., solicitor
1897 - 1900 Vacant
1900 - 1915 Gerald O’Reilly
1920 House For Sale
1916 - 1925 Francis Patrick Walsh
1926 Contents of house for sale
1926 - 1948 Mrs Harriet Bewley
1947 For sale on 14.5 Acres
1948 - 1954 William J Ahern of Ballsbridge
1954 - todate St John of Gods
1849 Mary Hanly - Gatekeeper
1871 William Donnelly - Gardener
1876 Daniel Finlay - Coachman living at the gatelodge
1877 James Sullivan - Coachman
1901 Paul Kelly - Apprentice
Margaret Heslim - Cook
1911 Ellen Murphy - General Domestic Servant
STATUS Extant and under refurbishment in 2017
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE May 2017