Limeville/Lyndon Castle/Linden Convalescent Home
NAME Limeville/Lyndon Castle/Linden (Incorporating Talbot Lodge)
AREA LOCATION STILLORGAN. Linden estate off Grove avenue.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of
Stillorgan Grove and it is annotated as Linden on both.
GENERAL A substantial house with a single gate lodge. The windows were 12
pane slender sashes with surrounds that were hand carved and a carved frieze beneath
each. The quoins of the Mullins wing were matched to the original structure and but the
string courses were at different levels. The portico protruded from the tower reached by
seven granite steps and was flanked by two half hexagonal returns, the right return
adjoined a symmetrical six-bay garden-front, all topped by a balustraded parapet. The
occupier of the house jumped from the parapet of the tower, landing on the portico in
1863 in a moment of insanity. The Mullin's wing was added between 1871 and 1875.
The home closed briefly for improvements in 1893. Between 1915 and 1917, 20 beds
were set aside for soldiers and it was used as an Auxiliary Military hospital. In 1928 Talbot
Lodge was incorporated into the home as was Stillorgan Park Cottage in the 1950's. By the
1960's, orphanage girls from St Joseph's were sent here as domestic servants and it saw the
death of Eamon De Valera in 1975.
It was sold on just under 9 acres for 8 Million in 1997. The Sisters said the money was to
be used to complete Caritas Convalescent Home. In 1999 the first phase of 53
apartments went on sale and in 2003 the Mullin's wing was converted to apartments.
YEAR BUILT circa 1830
VALUATION No valuation found to-date.
OF ROOMS In the 1901 census it is noted as having 76 rooms
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, Registry of Deeds,
NAI Census & Wills, Thom's Directories and OSI Maps.
1840 - 1850 Boles Reeves Esq
1857 - 1862 Henry Jackson
1863 Julius Sartoris
1864 Religious Sisters of Charity
1866 Announcement: To be opened as a nursing home under Sisters of Charity
1867 - 1893 Convalescent Home of St Vincent - Sisters of Charity
1893 - 1989 Linden Convalescent Home - Sisters of Charity
1989 Sold to Capel Developers
1863 Michael McNevin - Butler
1867 Edward Somers - Gardener
1876 James Keogh - Gardener
1877 William Tyndall - Gardener
1897 Laurence O'Leary - Labourer
1901 Maria Lawless - Laundress
Teresa Byrne - Domestic
1911 Christine Kane - Housemaid
Lilly Neylan - Wardmaid
Delia Flaherty - Wardmaid
Mary Hughes - Cooks maid
Christine Foran - Cook
Annie Stynes - Housemaid
Mary Grennan- Cook
Ellen Donnellon - Laundry maid
Gertrude Farrell - Laundry maid
Maggie Kearney - Laundry maid
Katie Murtagh - Chapel maid
Kate Maguire - Portress
Ellen Reilly - Laundry maid
Mary Colley - Housemaid
Joseph Murphy - Gardener's Asst.
1914 - 1918 Winifred Letts - VAD
Sr Mary Rosario - Red Cross
Sr Mary Aidan Conry - Red Cross nurse
Sr Elizabeth Dalton - mentioned in dispatches
Sr Mary John Dunne
Sr de Paul Fitzpatrick
STATUS Mullin's wing is still extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE July 2017