NAME Sans Souci
AREA LOCATION STILLORGAN, Its main entrance was located south off the entrance of
St Helen's (Radisson) on what is now the N11.
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of
Booterstown and it is annotated as Sans Souci on both. Entrance from
Stillorgan Road and Booterstown Avenue.
GENERAL This is a possible image of Sans Souci. The house had two fronts, extensive
stabling, coach houses and a lock up yard. Over 60 outhouses were reported on the 1911
census. It was the site of the shooting of Kevin O'Higgins who was found lying by a 'lamppost
outside the gates of the house Sans Souci, which directly faces up Cross Avenue'. In 1836 the
house was 'For sale' on 35 acres, fully furnished enclosed by high walls following the death of
Robert Roe, a Dublin merchant who had declined many offers of being a representative of
Dublin in parliament but remained as honorary treasurer of the Chamber of Council of Dublin.
1781 Peter La Touche was letting it on 30 acres, the lease was held from Lord Fitzwilliam which
had 58 years unexpired.
During the hurricane of 1839 many of the ancient elm trees at San Souci were uprooted. The
garden may have been designed by Gabriel Griffen.
YEAR BUILT circa 1750
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 184 pounds and in the 1911 census it is noted
as having 22 rooms occupied by family.
ARCHITECT Unknown, additional wing added between 1801and 1803 designed by the
architect Richard Morrison.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous Newspapers, Griffith's valuation, NAI
Census & Wills and OSI Maps.
1760 - 1781 Sir Humphrey Butler, 1st Earl of Lanesborough (3rd Viscount Lanesboro married to Elizabeth La Touche)
1789 - 1803 William Digges La Touche
1804 - 1827 James Digges La Touche
1828 - 1836 Robert Roe, Esq. (Church warden SS Philip & James)
1837 - 1838 To be Sold or Let
1839 - 1840 Patrick Sweetman
1842 - 1870 Richard Pearce O'Reilly, M.D.
1870 - 1920 Joseph Richard O'Reilly
1920 - 1936 Mrs J R O'Reilly (Frances)
1937 Sale of furniture and acquired by the Irish Christian Brothers.
1941 Gate lodge demolished.
1948 House Demolished
1953 San Souci Park (Housing Estate built)
1849 Andrew Crigley - Gateporter
1901 Bridget Bryan - Cook
Julia Byrne - Kitchenmaid
Mary Brady - Housemaid
Florence Cook - Children's maid
James McLoughlin - Butler
Thomas Ryan - Coachman
Denis Fallon - Groom
1911 William Lawless - Butler
Patrick Lawlor - Coachman
Bridget Brien - Cook
Susan Hanohoe - Housemaid
Mary Hughes - Laundress
Mary Bennett - Kitchenmaid
STATUS No longer extant..
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE Updated March 2017