Hamilton House - Draft
NAME 28 Fitzwilliam Place later Hamilton House.
AREA LOCATION Corner of Fitzwilliam Place and Lower Leeson Street
MAP LOCATION OSI map of1898-1913 place it in the ward of St Stephens in the
townland of Fitzwilliam but it is not annotated.
In October 1854 a lease at the junction of Fitzwilliam Place and Lower Leeson Street was
given by the Pembroke Estate to Hans Henry Hamilton, son of Henry Hamilton of
Ballymacoll, Co Meath. Hans appointed Dean and Woodward to design the house and Gilbert
Cockburn and Sons were contracted as builders. It is an end of terrace three bay four storey
over basement polychrome brick built house. It has a hipped slate roof concealed by parapet.
It has sash widows and decorative cast iron balconettes to the ground, first and second levels.
Mainly in a yellow brick, the chimneystack has a triple-H monogram picked out in red brick.
The chapel to the rear with projecting oriel windows was added in 1878 and was
commissioned by Christopher Pallas. The original stables are now 62 Lower Leeson Street.
YEAR BUILT circa 1856 -1861
VALUATION In 1880 the valuation was 120 pounds and in the 1911 census it is noted as
having 23 rooms occupied by family.
ARCHITECT Deane & Woodward. Addition of chapel in 1878 by George Coppinger Ashlin
possibly by builder Henry Edward Hall, of Lombard Street and later of
SOURCES Thom's, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census & Wills, OSI Maps, South
Dublin Historical Mapping.
1856 - 1875 Hans Henry Hamilton
1877 - 1905 Christopher Palles
1903 - 1905 For Sale
1911 - 1923 Right Hon Charles Andrew O'Connor, Master of the Rolls
1927 - 1947 Baron & Lady Mary Hemphill (heiress to Edward Martyn)
1947 - 1957 Lord Martin Hemphill (RIP)
1956 Portion of the rear garden sold for development
1957 - 1972 IBM Ireland Headquarters (landlord Peter Patrick Hemphill, 5th Baron)
1973 - 1974 Confederation of Irish Industry
1974 - 1986 Smith Group HQ
1986 Leasehold interest for 35 years from 1981 for sale
1987 Chemcon Ltd subsidiary of Biocon Biochemicals Ltd
1988 Sterling Health
1990 Hibernian Life purchase the 6600 square feet building for 1 Million
1990 - 2005 Bruce Shaw Partnership
2022 Serviced offices
1901 Possible caretaker installed - Jane Kavanagh
1911 Mad'lle Marie Poyet - Governess
Mary Power - Cook
Kate Duffy - Housemaid
Joseph Abel - Butler
Mary Fitzgerald - Servant
Ellen Keatinge - Parlourmaid
Delia Kennedy - Nurse
1913 Joseph Abel - Stable and coachhouse to rear
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE November 2022