NAME The Vicarage/Old Vicarage
AREA LOCATION Proby Square off Carysfort Avenue
MAP LOCATION OSI map of 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Stillorgan Park and it
is annotated as Vicarage.
GENERAL All Saints’ Church was built on Carysfort Avenue between1868-1870. The
parish was created in 1868 from parts of Stillorgan, Kill and Monkstown after disestablishment
(no longer the established church in Ireland). Hence it was supported by the church and not by
tithes. Both the church and the vicarage were built in rustic granite in the Gothic style. A
detached Victorian double fronted house on .4 acre, one of its unusual features are the pierced
wooden cornices to some of the reception rooms. The staircase also has pierced ecclesiastical
YEAR BUILT circa 1873
VALUATION In 1938 the valuation was 48 pounds and in the 1901 census it is noted as
having 11rooms occupied by family.
ARCHITECT John McCurdy - Architect/Builders - J & W Beckett of South King Street, Dublin.
SOURCES Thom's, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census & Wills and OSI Maps.
1873 - 1898 Canon George Thomas Stokes
1898 - 1908 Rev Harvey Stewart
1908 - 1914 Rev Henry Edmund Patton
1914 - 1956 Henry Ballinacarrig Dobbs
1956 - 1978 Richard Julian John Frederic Maconchy, B D
2003 For Sale quoting 1.85 million
2020 For Sale quoting 2.95 million
1901 Margaret Mary Keelan - Cook
Mary Jane Thompson - Nurse
1911 Eleanor Moore - Nurse
Mary Flanagan - Cook
Bridget Largin - Housemaid
STATUS Extant and a protected structure
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE November 2022