Busby family of Stillorgan Cottage and Blackpitts Distillery.
John Busby married Hannah
born circa 1760
died 27 Apr 1837
John Busby born circa 1760 was probably son of Samuel watchmaker and brother of
Samuel, watch maker of 3 Cork Hill and hatter of 90 Dame Street. John had a mill at Mill
Street, married Hannah and they had four daughters and at least two sons. They lived at
New Street before moving to Churchtown House circa 1790. John aged 70 on the
27 April 1837 and the house was advertised as for sale or let until 1844.
1 Samuel Busby baptised 1 Dec 1776 at St Nicholas.
2 Eliza Busby, eldest daughter born circa 1780. She moved from Churchtown to
Co Westmeath circa 1851 to build a mansion at Jigginstown. The furniture was all
made to order by Messrs Scott of Dublin. In 1858 she gave a party to celebrate the
finishing of the house and her nephew the Rev West made the toasts. She died a
spinster at Jigginstown House Co Westmeath on 1 Mar 1867.
3 Hannah Busby, second daughter born circa 1781 died at Churchtown House on
13 Apr 1861 and was buried at Finglas. She left 20K in personal estate and the
Churchtown House, Sweetmount Avenue on 21 acres was put up for sale by her
4 Caroline Busby youngest daughter born circa 1785 married John West, merchant of
Dame Street on 11 Jun 1803.
5 John Busby born circa 1791 of Taney parish married Charlotte Wilhelmina Pellegrine
eldest daughter of Doctor Pellegrine, of Trinity College, Dublin at St Mark’s Dublin on
29 Jan 1826. He sold his property in New Street and opened a distillery at Blackpitts
in 1828. They moved to Stillorgan Cottage circa 1827. A fire at the premises which
had just been upgraded caused major damage in 1834 but the premises were insured
and he continued trading. A second fire occurred in 1850 and two people were killed.
John died suddenly on 14 Jun 1855 at 14 Longford Tce., Monkstown as he was
dressing to go to the funeral of his friend Arthur Guinness. Charlotte died in Chichester
on 19 Jul 1890.
1 Samuel Busby born 31 Aug 1826 and baptised at Taney died 17 Mar 1832 aged 5 ½ at
2 John Busby born circa 1827 attended Mr Knight’s school and graduated Trinity in 1842.
He was living at Longford Tce when he married Mary Elizabeth Deey, second daughter
of William Deey at Monkstown Church on 14 Mar 1857. The brewery was sold to The
Dublin Brewery Company in 1865.
3 William Busby died at Monkstown in Feb 1840.
4 Alphonse Busby born 14 May 1828 at Stillorgan Cottage. A maltster he married
Louisa Henrietta Frances Pillans, second daughter of J W Pillans of Brompton on
24 Oct 1859.
1 Jane Dickinson Busby born 23 Aug 1869 at 4 Burlington Road.
2 Charlotte Mary Busby born 15 Jun 1871 at 4 Burlington Road.
3 Louisa Henrietta Busby born 26 Feb 1873 at 4 Burlington Road.
5 Nannie Busby, eldest daughter born 21 Jun 1830 married Fielding Scovell on
5 Dec 1854 at Byculla, Bombay. She died 5 Aug 1859 at Bombay.
6 Emily Busby, second daughter born 9 Mar 1833 at Stillorgan Cottage married John
William Madden of the 70th regiment, 3rd son of the late Rev Samuel Madden of Kells
Grange, Co Kilkenny.
© June Bow & Karen Poff – July 2019