Hopkins Family of Lakelands, Drummartin
Hopkins and Hopkins came into being in 1868 when William and Richard Hopkins purchased the lease
of the premises and the stock in trade of Law and Co, whose proprietor F H Ellis was bankrupt. They
advertised themselves as goldsmiths, jewellers and watchmakers, of 1 Lower Sackville Place, Dublin and
were the agents for Waltham watches in Ireland. In 1879 Edmond Johnson, one of Dublin's foremost
goldsmiths, started restoration work on the Ardagh Chalice and was given permission to make copies
of it, and other objects. In 1890 Hopkins purchased dies made by Johnson for the Ardagh Chalice, the
Tara Brooch and the Cross of Cong from the estate of William Cunningham Joyce. They became
renowned for their Irish/Celtic art jewellery.
After the death of Miles Richard Hopkins, the executors eventually agreed to transfer the assets to a
limited company realising that a large proportion of the company was in the company name.
John Fisher became a shareholder as did Robert Somerville Foster Murphy, the manager who had held
the fort during the court battle.
The building suffered damage in April 1916 and the company put in a substantial claim for building
damage and loss by destruction or looting of workmen's tools. The were also numerous claims for loss
of items under repair at the premises. In 1922 their premises were held by troops who recognised the
Dáil when the Ballast office on the opposite corner was occupied by irregular troops.
Dr Sam Maguire captained the Hibernians Gaelic football team, Chairman of the London County Board
and was a trustee of Croke Park. He died in 1927 and after his death a group of friends raised money for a
cup in his memory. Hopkins & Hopkins were commissioned to create the Sam Maguire silver trophy. It is
possible that they outsourced the manufacturing of the cup to the silversmith Matthew J Staunton of
D'Olier Street but the only assay marks are those of Hopkins and Hopkins. The cup costing 150 guineas
went on display at H & H before being formally handed over to the memorial committee. It was
presented to the GAA and was first played for on 30 Sep 1928 when it was won by Kildare.
They supplied the Presidential Insignia in 1956. Robert S F Murphy died in 1959 and Edward Nixon took
over as manager. They advertised they were Rolex agents in 1962. No advertisements have been found
after 1970 when they were advertising wedding rings and it it thought that the company disappeared
around this time and the Irish Nationwide took over their building.
John Hopkins married Mary Hopkins,
John Hopkins, a farmer of Tullow, Co Carlow married Mary Kepple in 1815
1 Sarah Keppel Hopkins born circa 1828 Carlow married Thomas Jones Fisher son of Thomas
Fisher on 28.12.1861 at the Centenary Chapel, Stephens Green. Thomas died 23.06.1896
aged 58 years and Sarah died 24.05.1904 aged 80 years at 25 Dunville Avenue.
1 Sarah Alice Fisher born 21.02.1864 eldest daughter a Sister R.A.N.S. Netley Hospital
married John Lubbock Ingram on 16.03.1905 at All Saints, Edmonton, Enfield. Sarah
2 Florence Kate Keppel Fisher born 20.04.1865 was a beneficiary of her brother John's Will
in 1935 and was to receive 40% of his profits in Hopkins and Hopkins. Florence died
17 Sep 1942 at Tivoli Nursing Home.
3 John Edward Alment Fisher only son born 06.10.1868 at 46 Shelbourne Road living at
Dunville Avenue, Ranelagh married Letitia West daughter of Thomas West of 53 St
Lawrence Road, Clontarf on 24.10.1906 at the Parish Church, Clontarf. John of 11
Tivoli Terrace east was a Freeman of the city of Dublin and a member of the Goldsmiths
Corporation. He was a partner in the firm Hopkins and Hopkins from 1911 following the
death of his Uncle Miles. He was a shareholder following its incorporation in 1915. He
died 25 Nov 1935 at Portobello House, late of Tivoli Terrace, Kingstown. He left 10K in
person estate and is residuary legatee was a his nephew John S West.
2 Charles Thomas Hopkins born 07.10.1828 baptised at Tullow married Maria McOwen
daughter of Malachi McOwen on 16.09.1858 at Dublin Castle.
1 John Kepple Hopkins eldest son married secondly Elizabeth Sproule daughter of the late
Christopher Lynch of Monkstown and widow of Dr Sproule of Somerset on 01.11.1889
at Christ Church, Bray. Elizabeth Sproule took proceedings to have her marriage declared
null in 1902. John died 01.01.1926 and was buried at Mount Jerome.
2 Martha Hopkins born circa 1874 living with her uncle Miles in 1911 at Monkstown and died
21.02.1938 at a Private Nursing Home and was buried at Mount Jerome
3 Olive (Olivia) Prudentia Hopkins born circa 1877 lived with her uncle Miles both in Blackrock
and Monkstown and died 22.07.1941 at 74 Kenilworth Park. Colliers of The Castle Works,
Bray made the funeral arrangements and she was buried at Mount Jerome with her brother
and sister. Olivia left personal estate of 10K.
2 William Hopkins born circa 1830 in Tullow, Co Carlow was a Town Councillor and senior partner in
the firm of jewellers W & R Hopkins (Hopkins & Hopkins ) of Sackville Street, a member of the
Dublin Corporation and the Paving and Lighting Committee. He was a follower of John Redmond
and served as TC for the North Dock Ward. A staunch supported of Parnell and Home Rule, he was
a director of The Independent Printing and Publishing Company, a company formed to produce
newspapers (The Daily Independent and the Evening Herald) to advance the cause of home rule. He
lived at Lakelands from 1890 until his death. He died a bachelor on 03.09.1893 at Lakelands aged 63
3 Miles Richard Hopkins born circa 1832 in Tullow, Co Carlow trained as a goldsmith and jeweller in
Dublin, London and Paris before retuning to Dublin in 1868 and setting up in partnership with his
brother. Of of 1 Brighton Terrace, Monkstown, he was a senior partner in Hopkins & Hopkins and a
member of the Irish National League. On the death of his brother he became sole proprietor and
lived at Lakelands from 1890 to 1898. He was returned unopposed to the North dock ward on the
death of his brother. Richard was living at Belgrave Square in 1901 and Brighton Terrace,
Monkstown in 1911. He died a bachelor on 20.11.1911 and was buried at Deansgrange. He left
personal estate of 28,500 just under 3 Million in today's money. His niece Martha Hopkins and
nephew John Fisher were his executors. He left a part of his library upon trust to Thomas Fitzpatrick,
editor and proprietor of the “Leprecaun”, and Arthur Griffith, proprietor of “Sinn Fein”, to be applied
to the 'Society of Irish Journalism and Reporters'. No society had such a name but two had similar
names and they both laid claim. The claim was by the courts.
© June Bow & Karen Poff - March 2018