Moss family of Stillorgan
Henry William Moss married Susan Webster
born 1859 12 Jul 1888 born circa 1865
died 26 Mar 1944 Monkstown died 29 Oct 1946
Wellington Road, Dublin Wellington Road, Dublin
Henry William Moss born circa 1859, son of Henry Moss and Mary Richardson of Kilgobbin. He was a
merchant and married Susan Webster of Monkstown and daughter of John Webster, Merchant at
Monkstown Church on 12 Jul 1888. Henry was a director of Woods Webb and Co and later traded as
Moss & Gray. He was a member of the Dublin Sketching Club and its president for many years. He
exhibited regularly and was considered an excellent painter of cattle. He registered a patent for
improved Cocoa preparation in 1904. The family lived at Elmfield in Kilgobbin from 1891 to 1894
before moving to Ulster Terrace Stillorgan in 1895. They lived at Greenbank, Milltown and were living at
Springmount, Howth when their son Arnold was killed. Henry died 26 Mar 1944 at Wellington Road and
Susan died 29 Oct 1946 at Wellington Road. Both were buried at Kilternan.
1 Henry Webster Moss born 25 Oct 1889 at Kilgobbin baptised 17 Nov 1889, at the Kilternan
Church. He was a research and industrial chemist and worked with Read Holliday & Sons, at
Huddersfield. He married Jeannie Holmes Montgomery on 29 Apr 1918 in Donnybrook. Jeannie
was the daughter of Alexander Nixon Montgomery, physician of Sackville Street. Jeannie died
3 Jul 1963 at Bloomfield, Donnybrook and Henry died 4 Mar 1966 at Knocknamaddy, Co Monaghan.
Both were buried at Kilternan.
2 Aileen Mary Moss, only daughter born 7 Jan 1891 at Kilgobbin. She was a member of the Girls
Training Corps. She married in 1918 Rev Noel Henry F Waring, Curate of St Georges at Howth
Parish Church. Noel was the son of Henry Waring, engineer. Noel was Chaplain of the Magdalen
Church, Leeson Street, a canon in the church of Ireland and Archdeacon of Kildare. He was also
Warden of the Church's Ministry of Healing in Ireland. He died 12 Dec 1964 at Wellington Road.
3 Geoffrey Lawton Moss born 21 Mar 1895 at Ulster Tce, Stillorgan. Geoffrey played with Lansdown
RFC and was also a competitive lawn tennis player. He enlisted and served with the 7th Royal
Leinster before joining the British Royal Air Force in 1918. He was awarded the Military Cross for
Bravery in 1916. He married Gladys M Neale at Foleshill, Warwickshire in 1923. Gladys was the
daughter of John S Neale and his wife Emilie of Exhall Grange in Coventry. The family were living at
Kenilworth in 1935 and Geoffrey was Chairman of the Kenilworth Branch of the British Legion.
Geoffrey was an engineer and author of How to build a split cane fishing rod in 1947. Geoffrey died
at Aberconwy, Caernarvonshire, Wales in 1975.
4 Arnold Wilson Moss born 15 Apr 1896 at Ulster Terrace, Stillorgan was educated at Aravon School,
Dr Crawley’s (Strangeways) School, St Stephen's Green, Dublin and attended Trinity College, Dublin.
He was a member of Lansdown RFC and he enlisted 'D, Company (The Pals), 7th Battalion Royal
Dublin Fusiliers in May 1915. Soldier number 14188. He was recommended for the Distinguished
Conduct Medal, when he assisted wounded comrades under fire at Chocolate Hill on 9 Aug 1915. As
a result of his gallantry, he was promoted to Lance Corporal on 14 Aug 1915. Following a bayonet
charge at Kerech Tepe Sirt on 16 Aug 1916 he was reported wounded and missing, later thought to
have been killed in action but his body was not found. He is remembered on the Cape Helles
© June Bow & Karen Poff – August 2021