Edward Knowldin of Gortmore, Dundrum and St Helens, Booterstown.
Edward Knowldin married Jane Harriett Morris
born 1850 Lamberth 1878 born circa 1857
died 1836 St Georges died 26 Mar 1882
Glasnevin London Carton
Edward John Thomas Knowldin was born at Lambeth in 1850 to Edward Knowldin, a butler. He
married Jane Harriett Morris, daughter of Josiah Herbert Morris, a draper of 3 Gilbert Street at
St George’s Church, Hanover Square on 10 Jun 1878. The couple moved to Ireland and Edward
got a job at Head Gardener to the Duke of Leinster at Carton House by 1880. By 1886 he was
working for John Nutting at Gortmore, Dundrum and when John Nutting bought St Helen’s in
Booterstown in 1897, Edward moved into a small cottage on the grounds. Throughout this
period he won many competitions for flowers, fruit and vegtables. In 1881 he was elected a
practical member of the Royal Horticultural Society and in 1906 he was co-opted on to the
council of the society and was secretary from 1908 until his retirement in 1931. In 1907 it left
the employ of John Nutting to landscape the grounds for the International Exhibition at Herbert
Park. He was much sought after as a judge at horticultural shows and was secretary to the Irish
Forestry Society. He wrote for the Weekly Irish Times offering sound advice and useful ‘tips for
amateurs’. During WW1 he was key in popularising the allotment scheme which provided fresh
fruit and vegtables to the crews of submarines, torpedo boats and mine sweeping trawlers.
From 1910- 1912 Edward was living at Somerville Terrace on Dalkey avenue and by 1913 he and
his two daughters moved to a small house with garden at Claude Road, Glasnevin. Edward died
at 10 Claude road on 16 Mar 1936 and was buried at St George’s Parish burial grounds, Dublin.
1 Winfred Knowdlin born 9 Apr 1880 at Carton died unmarried on 18 May 1942 late of
Claude Road at the Royal Hospital for Incurables, Donnybrook and was buried at St
George’s cemetery on Whiteworth Road.
2 Edith Eliza Knowldin born 25 May 1881 at Carton died unmarried on 5 June 1934 at
10 Claude Road.
© June Bow & Karen Poff – May 2019