Fernbank
NAME FernBank/Fernbank/Our Lady of the Angels Convent
AREA LOCATION Churchtown Road
MAP LOCATION OSI map of 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Churchtown Upper
and it is annotated at Fernbank.
GENERAL Two storey over basement detached house approached through a
lodge entrance on 8½ acres. In 1889 it is described as having five bedroom and three reception
rooms. It had two gatelodges, a walled garden, a flower garden, greenhouse, vinery and
stabling. It was on 9½ in 1952 and the stables had been converted to classrooms by 1953. It
was reported in 2002 that the school would close in 2004 and that the site was worth 50
million. In 2006, 7 of the 11 acre site, which included Fernbank was sold to Park Developments
and in 2009 further lands were sold to developers. It was announced in 2016 that the school
which has 230 pupils was to close because of ongoing financial difficulties. The Department of
Education announced that Gaelscoil na Fuinseoige would take long-term occupancy of the
school building by September 2018 at the latest.
YEAR BUILT circa 1859
VALUATION In 1875 the valuation was 80 pounds and in the 1911 census it is
noted as having 16 rooms occupied by the family.
ARCHITECT Unknown
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census &
Wills and OSI Maps
OCCUPANTS
1860 - 1873 John Webb
1873 - 1888 John McDonnell Green
1888 - 1917 Elizabeth Green
1917 - 1943 Kathleen Green
1943 - 1952 Dr Alan Herbert Thompson
1952 - 2002 Notre Dame Des Missions
2002 - 2016 Notre Dame Trust Ltd
2006 Part of the site sold to Park Developments.
2009 Further lands sold
2018 Gaelscoil na Fuinseoige
2026 Fernbank refurbished
STAFF
1893 James Stapleton - Labourer (see birth of daughter)
1901 Kate Fahey - Cook
1901 - 1911 Catherine Fay - Housemaid/Nurse
1911 Mary Anne McCarthy - Cook
1911 James Cullen, Gardener living at Fernbank Lodge
CURRENT A protected structure (Original Front Facade only)
STATUS
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE January 2023
AREA LOCATION Churchtown Road
MAP LOCATION OSI map of 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Churchtown Upper
and it is annotated at Fernbank.
GENERAL Two storey over basement detached house approached through a
lodge entrance on 8½ acres. In 1889 it is described as having five bedroom and three reception
rooms. It had two gatelodges, a walled garden, a flower garden, greenhouse, vinery and
stabling. It was on 9½ in 1952 and the stables had been converted to classrooms by 1953. It
was reported in 2002 that the school would close in 2004 and that the site was worth 50
million. In 2006, 7 of the 11 acre site, which included Fernbank was sold to Park Developments
and in 2009 further lands were sold to developers. It was announced in 2016 that the school
which has 230 pupils was to close because of ongoing financial difficulties. The Department of
Education announced that Gaelscoil na Fuinseoige would take long-term occupancy of the
school building by September 2018 at the latest.
YEAR BUILT circa 1859
VALUATION In 1875 the valuation was 80 pounds and in the 1911 census it is
noted as having 16 rooms occupied by the family.
ARCHITECT Unknown
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, NAI Census &
Wills and OSI Maps
OCCUPANTS
1860 - 1873 John Webb
1873 - 1888 John McDonnell Green
1888 - 1917 Elizabeth Green
1917 - 1943 Kathleen Green
1943 - 1952 Dr Alan Herbert Thompson
1952 - 2002 Notre Dame Des Missions
2002 - 2016 Notre Dame Trust Ltd
2006 Part of the site sold to Park Developments.
2009 Further lands sold
2018 Gaelscoil na Fuinseoige
2026 Fernbank refurbished
STAFF
1893 James Stapleton - Labourer (see birth of daughter)
1901 Kate Fahey - Cook
1901 - 1911 Catherine Fay - Housemaid/Nurse
1911 Mary Anne McCarthy - Cook
1911 James Cullen, Gardener living at Fernbank Lodge
CURRENT A protected structure (Original Front Facade only)
STATUS
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE January 2023