NAME Roebuck House/Roebuck Grove
AREA LOCATION Within the UCD Campus
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Roebuck
it is annotated at Roebuck House and Roebuck Grove respectively.
GENERAL The house name was changed from Roebuck House to Roebuck Grove in 1856.
A Georgian house with a entrance from both Clonskeagh Road and Roebuck Road. It was set in
parkland with distant views of Howth Head and featured Adams Fireplaces and clasical
plasterwork, possibly the work of stuccadore and builder, Michael Stapleton. The lands also
contained a gatelodge and a 5 room tin roofed wooden cottage when sold in 1962. The property
had a stream running through it that now feeds the water features in UCD Campus.
YEAR BUILT Circa 1792
VALUATION In 1901 the rateable valuation was 167 pounds.
ROOMS On the 1911 census it is noted as having 27 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, Registry of Deeds, OSI Maps
and NAI Census & Wills
1783 Lord Trimlestown - no house on the land.
1792 John Robinson
1820 - 1823 Mr Peter La Touche
1824 - 1828 Mr J G Richards
1829 - 1856 Sir John Power
1856 For sale by executors of Sir John Power on 31 acres
1856 -1870 Pickering family
1871 For Sale
1890 - 1914 Sir Christopher & Lady Nixon
1915 - 1920 Lady Nixon
1920 For Sale on 35 Statute acres
1924 - 1961 A Riddell Martin
1962 Purchased by UCD
1911 Mary O'Shaughnessy - Domestic Servant
Patrick Kelly - Domestic Servant
STATUS No longer extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow/Karen Poff
DATE April 2019