NAME Blackthorns Farm - Photographs courtesy of the Stuart Family
AREA LOCATION Blackthorn Road, Sandford Industrial estate.
MAP LOCATION OSI map of 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Blackthorn and it is annotated as Blackthorns.
GENERAL Venacular Irish farmhouse with coursed random rubble walls surounded by yard and outbuildings.
Thought to be on 70 acres and in use as a dairy farm from 1880 to 1959.
YEAR BUILT circa 1878
VALUATION No listing of a valuation found.
ROOMS On the 1901 census it is noted as having 5 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporaneous newspapers, Registry of Deeds, OSI Maps and NAI Census & Wills
1866 - 1878 Rev John Sullivan of the Benedictine Farm in receivership in 1878
1878 - 1959 Stuart Family
1975 - Abbey Properties
1980 Land Purchased by IDA
STATUS No longer extant, demolished in the late 1970's
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow/Karen Poff
DATE January 2018