AREA BLACKROCK, NEWTOWN PARK AVENUE
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Galloping Green North on both.
GENERAL A Victorian house with 3 gatelodges (one still extant midway between Ardlui Park and Ardagh Drive on Newtownpark Avenue). The other two were on Carysfort Avenue and although the gatelodges are gone, part of the gate piers still survive. The name of the house was changed to Ardagh Park in 1940. A relatively small house with various extensions and stabling on thirty four acres. Two story with glassed-in portico and an entrance hall with parquet floor with was 32.5' in length. In 1906 it was put on the market and its selling points included 7 bedrooms, a hot air system for heating the house and a Turkish bath.
YEAR BUILT circa 1833
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 143 pounds.
ROOMS On the 1901 census it is noted as having 24 rooms occupied by family.
SOURCES Topographical Dictionary of Ireland 1837 Samuel Lewis, Thom's Directory, NAI Census, Parish Records.
c1833 - 1911 Powell Family
1918 - 1921 Gilmore
1926 - 1940 Keogh Family
1940 -1952 Ruttledge
1849 Anne Kileen - Gatekeeper/2nd lodge vacant
1870 William Jackson - Labourer
1872 - 1874 John Thomas Sainsbury - Coachman living in Bellosquardo Lodge
1896 Thomas Peers - Groom
1900 - 1906 Joseph Shields - Coachman
1901 Eleanor Chapman - Housekeeper
Victoria Paul - Cook
Deborah Grant - Parlourmaid
Mary Stuart - Housemaid
1907 -1911 Richard Bryan - Gardener (lodge 1)
1911 -1916 Robert Marks - Gardener (lodge 2)
1911 Margaret Lindsay - General Domestic Servant
STATUS Demolished circa 1952
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow
DATE February 2017