NAME Maesgwyllyd House/Springfield/Ardlui/Ardlinn
AREA LOCATION Newtown Park Avenue
MAP LOCATION OSI maps of 1838-1845 and 1898-1913 place it in the townland of Galloping
Green North and it annotated as Maesgwyllyd and Ardlui respectively. It does not
appear on Taylor's map of 1816.
GENERAL Built c1830 and extended c1860, a French château on 8 acres, described as having
pleasure gardes and two conservatories. Spectacular entrance gates mentioned in the “for sale” advert of
1870. The name of the house was changed to Springfield in 1857, and renamed Ardlui in 1872. Photo
of original house is from “for Sale" advert - James H North & Co auctioneers which makes mention of
gate lodge and round tower. The house was owned by Thomas Dixon along with Abilene and Eversham.
It was famous for it's garden with rare trees and shrubs and featured in many gardening magazines.
A two story square house with no basement, it had a balustraded roof decorated with urns. There were
walled Orchards, stables and garages with accommodation above. It had three reception rooms including
a magnificent drawing room with a superb ceiling. The House was demolished in the 1950's but the folly
(round tower) survives in the garden of a house built on its land.
YEAR BUILT circa 1830
VALUATION In 1912 the valuation was 85 pounds and the 1911 census notes that the family
occupy 24 rooms. In 1929 it is noted as having 7 bedooms and 3 bathrooms.
ARCHITECT Unknown but redesingned by John McCurdy circa 1873
SOURCES Thom’s directories, contemporanous newspapers, NAI Census & Wills, Parish Records,
DIA and Land Valuation books.
1836 - 1837 To Let by Thomas Dixon
1838 William Edward Hartpole Lecky, OBE
1849 - 1852 Thomas Dixon Esq. JP
1854 J T Stratford Esq.
1857 - 1871 John Cameron Esq.
1872 - 1873 Robinson Gale Perry
1873 - 1892 William James Perry Esq., JP
1885 Mrs J Perry
1890 Ida Florence Perry
1893 - 1925 George Mitchell Esq.
1926 - 1931 Mr Le Cesne Byrne (daugher in law is June Ann Fitzpatick- Irsh Tenis Champ)
1931 House is for sale with James North & Co
1935 William Hewat & Cecil Hewat
1935 House for sale
1940 E Devine
1941 H J W Downey
1950 - 1951 Mrs Evelyn Eliza Henry
1955 Demolished circa 1955
1849 John Bourne - Gate porter
1883 - 1891 Mr Tobin - Gardener
1920 - 1923 Mr W Baker - Gardener
1875 George King - Servant
1901 Mary Plunkett – Cook
Annie Fitzpatrick - Parlour maid
Ann Murphy - House maid.
1911 Elizabeth Murphy - Lady's maid
Hannah Spellan - Cook
Mary Hait - House maid
Elizabeth Clarke - Kitchen maid
Anna Fitzpatrick - Parlour maid
STATUS No longer extant
CONTRIBUTOR © June Bow & Karen Poff
DATE September 2017